Individual, Couples, and Family Counseling for Children and Adults
|Posted on October 2, 2018 at 6:40 PM|
If you think that you are personally dealing with depression or a reduction in positive mood state, start by talking to someone. Keeping it hidden or a secret will only allow the negative feelings and thoughts to grow. There are many factors that could be contributing to your decreased mood, and counseling can be a great way to find different areas that need resolution as well as proper coping skills to minimize the impact of depression on your daily living. Some small key points to remember are:
• Depression is an illness, not a weakness.
• Seek treatment if your symptoms persist for 2 weeks or more.
• Keep active as much as you can.
o Many people feel fatigue and a desire to sleep or rest more when dealing with depression. This can often cause depression to grow since isolation is a known factor to depressed moods. Don’t give in to it or give depression permission to take over. As long as you are getting proper rest at night, work to stay awake and at least minimally active during the day.
• Set realistic goals for yourself and assume a moderate amount of responsibility.
• Break large tasks into small ones, set some priorities, and do what you can as you can.
• Mild exercise, eating well and avoiding alcohol can help improve your overall health and may help you to feel better day-by-day.
• Talk to a professional about how you feel.
In conclusion to this series, just remember, you are not alone. There are options available, and people that care and are willing to listen.